Tax Crimes in Bulgaria on the Rise
Tax, customs and financial crimes by organized criminal groups in Bulgaria are on the rise, said the Interior Ministry.
Frequent appointments and changes in law hinder the efficient counteraction to such crimes, according to a ministry report for H1 2014.
“The continuing reforms in the security and fiscal policies control sectors impede the interaction among the state authorities,” said the report.
According to the ministry, even though tax crimes are not the most common, they are the top priority of organized criminal groups, as they are the most profitable.
Only 10% of all crimes can be qualified as “economic”, but have most significant effect on the state finances.
The prosecutor's office reports that in 2013 it achieved 113 effective sentences and 1369 suspended for various “economic” crimes. On probation were sentenced 142 people and 309 were fined. At the same time, there were 5175 investigations for VAT fraud.
- » Five Injured in Shooting at a US School are in Critical Condition
- » A Case About a Brutal Murder was Solved in Just Few Hours
- » Spain Accused Shakira of Tax Evasion
- » Bulgaria Joins 'International Operation' Against the Digital Currency Investment Scheme OneCoin
- » Jewelry Studio in Burgas was Blown up
- » Terrorists Attacked a Hotel in Kabul