Tax Crimes in Bulgaria on the Rise
Tax, customs and financial crimes by organized criminal groups in Bulgaria are on the rise, said the Interior Ministry.
Frequent appointments and changes in law hinder the efficient counteraction to such crimes, according to a ministry report for H1 2014.
“The continuing reforms in the security and fiscal policies control sectors impede the interaction among the state authorities,” said the report.
According to the ministry, even though tax crimes are not the most common, they are the top priority of organized criminal groups, as they are the most profitable.
Only 10% of all crimes can be qualified as “economic”, but have most significant effect on the state finances.
The prosecutor's office reports that in 2013 it achieved 113 effective sentences and 1369 suspended for various “economic” crimes. On probation were sentenced 142 people and 309 were fined. At the same time, there were 5175 investigations for VAT fraud.
- » 3460 Vehicles Were Stolen in Bulgaria in 2015
- » Bulgarian Authorities Bust Migrant Smuggling Ring
- » Bulgaria Reveals Names of Suspected Attackers of Alexei Petrov
- » Crime Rate in Bulgaria Decreased by 4.5 % in 2015 - Interior Minister
- » Bulgarian Captain 'Found Dead' near Vienna
- » Bulgaria Police Arrest Alleged Mastermind of Attack on Ex-Security Agent