Number of Foreigners Granted BG Citizenship Drops
There is a drop in the number of foreigners who were granted Bulgarian citizenship, said former deputy justice minister Ilia Angelov, quoted by Sega daily.
“Bulgarian citizenship is not for sale,” he said. According to him, often people who get Bulgarian citizenship only use it to gain access to other EU countries and then renounce it.
According to the Justice Ministry data, in 2012 were started 14 732 procedures for Bulgarian citizenship and 17 329 people became Bulgarian citizens. In 2013 the number of applications was 16 941 and only 7954 people got it. As of July 18 2014 there were 7754 applications and by end of June Bulgarian citizens became 2173 foreigners.
According to Angelov, most applicants were from Macedonia, Moldova, Ukraine and Serbia, while the number of applications from Albania and Kosovo were declining.
- » Bulgaria's Koprivshtitsa Festival Added to UNESCO Heritage List
- » Sofia Hosts 3rd Global Summit for Preemies
- » Anti-Migrant Protest Held in Bulgarian Border Town
- » St Nicholas Day Marked in Bulgaria on Tuesday
- » First Sofia Metro Line Running Again after Monday Failure
- » Exhibition about Lion as Symbol of Bulgarians Still Running in Bucharest