Grigor Dimitrov to Skip Tournament in Washington Over Illness
Bulgarian top tennis player Grigor Dimitrov will skip the ongoing tournament in Washington D.C. because of a flu and a sinus infection.
The tournament director Jeff Newman said that Grigor will be missed this year, however his health comes first. He wished Dimitrov good luck until the end of the season, Bulgarian Dnevnik reports.
The Bulgarian has been taking a rest for 3 weeks. His return to the tennis court has, however, been delayed.
French player Gael Monfils will also skip the tournament due to a knee injury that he has not yet recovered from.
Grigor Dimitrov has kept his 9th spot of the ATP 500 series - there have been no changes in men's elite top 16 since last week, but changes are expected after the tournament in Washington. The Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic remains the leader in the rankings, followed by Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.
In men's top 20 Alexander Dolgopolov from Ukraine and the Italian Fabio Fognini mark the best improvements.
- » Bulgarian Football Legend Hristo Stoichkov Celebrates 50th Anniversary
- » Bautista Agut Triumphs in First Edition of Sofia Open
- » Bulgaria Loses to Belgium in Fed Cup
- » Bulgarian Head of State Demonstrates Football Skills at La Bombonera Stadium
- » Bulgaria Defeats Hungary, Latvia in Fed Cup
- » Bulgaria Drops to 75th Place in FIFA Ranking