Fatal Traffic Accidents in Bulgaria See Dramatic Increase – Expert
Death toll on Bulgarian roads is growing again, after a 4-5-year period of drastic decline, according to Aleksi Stratiev, former head of the Traffic Police.
There has been a dramatic increase in the number of fatal traffic accidents in 2014, compared to the death rates in 2012, Stratiev told Nova TV.
According to the expert, the grim statistics are due to putting an end to the traffic cameras installation process countrywide and the eventual stopping of those who are currently functioning.
"Traffic cameras get the control teams off the road and employees can be redirected to areas where there are no such cameras," Stratiev explained.
In his words, traffic related death rates increase 2-3 times during the summer months. Last weekend only, a total of 14 people have died on the roads in Bulgaria.In the summer, roads are flooded with less experienced drivers who would not normally drive every day.
Moreover, this year the weather is changeable, due to the regular heavy rains, followed by heat waves, therefore the road conditions also vary, Stratiev noted.
- » Nearly a Million Bulgarians have Health Problems
- » Large Oil Refinery in Texas is on Fire
- » April,20 - Hristo Prodanov is Becoming a Hero, Climbing Mount Everest Without the Use of Supplementary Oxygen
- » Spring Brings us Good Weather over the Weekend and after that
- » Injured Police Officers in Violent Clashes in Paris (Video)
- » Bulgarian Photographer Took First Prize of a Prestigious Competition