Bulgarian National Security Agency Busts Major Drug Trafficking Group
Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security busted a cross-border criminal group involved in the traffic of large quantities of drugs via Turkey and Bulgaria to Western Europe.
On July 20, the authorities at checkpoint Kapitan Andreevo inspected a truck with Bulgarian registration, driven by a Bulgarian citizen. A total of 106 kilograms of heroin have been seized from the vehicle, according to information released by the State Agency for National Security (DANS).
In a follow-up operation in Sofia, the authorities arrested two people occupying high positions in the hierarchy of the criminal group. The DANS employees seized cash, over 30 SIM cards and a small amount of cocaine from the homes and the cars of the detainees.
The detainees have remained in custody for 72 hours.
- » Bulgarian National Sought in Interpol Anti-Smuggling Operation
- » Bulgarian Authorities Bust Crime Group Making Fake Identity Documents
- » Bulgarian Authorities Bust Illegal Distillery in Monastery in Pomorie
- » IntMin: 424 Organised Crime Groups Operate in Bulgaria
- » Armed Robbery of Office Takes Place in Sofia
- » Bulgaria’s Top Prosecutor Asks for More Staff at Border to Cope with Migration Pressure