Bulgarian National Security Agency Busts Major Drug Trafficking Group
Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security busted a cross-border criminal group involved in the traffic of large quantities of drugs via Turkey and Bulgaria to Western Europe.
On July 20, the authorities at checkpoint Kapitan Andreevo inspected a truck with Bulgarian registration, driven by a Bulgarian citizen. A total of 106 kilograms of heroin have been seized from the vehicle, according to information released by the State Agency for National Security (DANS).
In a follow-up operation in Sofia, the authorities arrested two people occupying high positions in the hierarchy of the criminal group. The DANS employees seized cash, over 30 SIM cards and a small amount of cocaine from the homes and the cars of the detainees.
The detainees have remained in custody for 72 hours.
- » 10 Officials of Automobile Administration Agency Detained over Corruption
- » 175 illegal Migrants Caught at the Bulgarian Border in March
- » NYT: Toronto Van Driver Kills at Least 10 People
- » Smuggling of Cigarettes in Bulgaria is Currently 6.6%
- » Iraqi Woman Tried to Enter Romania with a Passport Bought in Bulgaria
- » Father Slaughtered his Son in Novi Han