Bulgarian National Security Agency Busts Major Drug Trafficking Group
Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security busted a cross-border criminal group involved in the traffic of large quantities of drugs via Turkey and Bulgaria to Western Europe.
On July 20, the authorities at checkpoint Kapitan Andreevo inspected a truck with Bulgarian registration, driven by a Bulgarian citizen. A total of 106 kilograms of heroin have been seized from the vehicle, according to information released by the State Agency for National Security (DANS).
In a follow-up operation in Sofia, the authorities arrested two people occupying high positions in the hierarchy of the criminal group. The DANS employees seized cash, over 30 SIM cards and a small amount of cocaine from the homes and the cars of the detainees.
The detainees have remained in custody for 72 hours.
- » Police Turns Over 7 Bulgarian Citizens to Greek Authorities
- » Two Israelis Detained over Death Case Near Bulgaria's Samokov
- » Bulgarian Police 'Helping People Smugglers', Migrant Claims
- » Mayor of Bulgaria's Galiche Released on Bail
- » Shooting in Sofia Neighborhood Leaves Taxi Driver Wounded
- » Former Prosecutor Takes Over Sofia Regional Court