Procedure for Election of Supreme Court of Cassation Chair Kicks Off
The Supreme Judicial Council (VSS) opened Thursday a procedure for the election of a Chair of the Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS).
The name of only one candidate is certain so far, namely judge Pavlina Panova, according to reports of mediapool.bg.
Panova is Deputy Chair of VKS and Chair of the Criminal Section of VKS.
VSS has received a letter from 49 judges from VKS asking that the candidates to appear at a hearing before them.
VSS did not rule on the motion and rejected a proposal to approve a profile listing the criteria for the new VKS Chair.
VKS asked to hold an extra hearing of the candidates on September 17, or eight days before the election procedure.
The VKS judges also noted that they preferred an election procedure through ballot papers instead of the electronic system of VSS.
The hearing of the candidates at VSS and the election procedure have been scheduled for September 25.
The names of the candidates are to be announced on July 30-31.
The VKS Chair is to be backed by more than 2/3 of the VSS members.
Candidates can be nominated by no less than 1/5 of the VSS members and by the Justice Minister.
The VKS Chair has a term in office of 7 years.
The term in office of the incumbent, Lazar Gruev, expires in the autumn.
Gruev was elected VKS Chair on November 9, 2007.
- » Bulgarian President: 'Having a Strong and Efficient Navy is Very Important to Bulgaria'
- » There is a Trend of Constant Increase in Traffic Through the Danube Bridge
- » Social Minister: The Pension System will be Stable until 2040
- » Hundreds are Protesting in Defense of an Arms Factory
- » President Radev will Guarantee the Security of Tsvetan Vasilev if he Returns to Bulgaria
- » The Repair of 'Orlov Most' in Sofia to Continue by the End of the Next Week