Bulgarian DPS Party Supports Georgieva's EU Foreign Policy Chief Bid
Bulgaria's ethnic Turkish DPS party will most likely support the candidacy of the outgoing EU Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva for EU's foreign policy chief post.
“While Kristalina Georgieva stands a chance of becoming EU's next foreign policy chief, it is the party's responsibility to support her,” Lyutvi Mestan, leader of the Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), told reporters Thursday.
Asked about the Bulgarian nomination for EU commissioner, Mestan noted that there are external factors claiming that Bulgaria's foreign policy chief nomination can be successful. In this line of thoughts it is a nationally responsible decision to aim at this post, DPS leader pointed out, as cited by BGNES.
"I expect the resignation [of Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski] to be put to the vote today and then I expect quick consultations with the President. I expect that today all leaders of parliamentary represented political forces will state that they will not attempt to realize any other mandate in the 42nd National Assembly," Mestan added.
Outgoing Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski, who resigned Wednesday, July 23, threw his support behind Georgieva's candidacy last week, after she hand long been reported as a "consensus" contender to take the post.
Ruling BSP has downplayed the likelihood that the outgoing EU Commissioner could take over as the EU's High Representative.
The cabinet was expected to announce Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin as EU Commissioner candidate on its meeting just before the resignation, but failed to produce a name.
- » The Bulgarian Euro-Presidency Disappoints the Young People from the EU
- » New Study of Food in Bulgaria and in Western Europe: Double Standards of Quality and Price
- » Bulgarian Dance "Horo" in the Center of Brussels
- » 1st Plenary Session of the Informal Meeting of EU Health Ministers in Sofia is Under Way
- » The EC is Considering Setting Up a New Energy Agency
- » The First Informal Meeting of EU Energy Ministers is Held in Sofia