Socialist 'Dissident' Member Kadiev Enters Party Leadership Race
Georgi Kadiev, known for his usual criticism at decisions of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP), has officially become a candidate to head the party.
Kadiev left Parliament and BSP's National Council in June, after a party session dedicated to poor results at the European Parliament elections this year.
Now he is to seek the office of BSP Chairman, which MEP Sergey Stanishev has announced he will vacate on July 27.
Economy Minister Dragomir Stoynev is seen as a strong contender to get the post, but Parliament Deputy Speaker Maya Manolova and key BSP members Korneliya Ninova, Yanaki Stoilov and Krasimir Yankov are also considered as Stanishev's possible successors.
Kadiev placed his bid for the BSP Chairman's seat in 2012, but was overwhelmingly defeated by then-reelected Stanishev.
On Tuesday, he explained in his Facebook profile that his choice stand for election came after he had received nominations from a number of towns and cities including the capital Sofia, Burgas, Veliko Tarnovo, Razgrad and Pleven.
He also cited his desire to "change the BSP" as a motive.
"I am placing my candidacy so that we can walk the road to a stronger, modern, pro-European left party. I am placing my candidacy so that we return the faith of BSP members in morale. I am placing my candidacy so that we consolidate the BSP around the change and not around the status quo. I am placing my candidacy so that we win elections - something the sensation of which we have forgotten," Kadiev wrote.
Stanishev, who held the office for 14 years, has often been blamed for being unable to secure victories at elections on any level since 2005.
- » "Parents - Conflicts - Aggression and Child Protection" is the Topic of a Round Table in the National Assembly Today
- » The Municipality of Plovdiv will Make a New Large Park
- » Citizens Unhappy with New Anti-parking Poles in the Tunnel of the National Palace of Culture
- » Crucial Week For the State Budget
- » Bulgaria Fulfilled All the Criteria For Entry into Schengen, Bulgarian Foreign Minister
- » The Innovation Fund of Bulgaria will Pay Scholars in early November