Bulgaria's Defense Min Vows Support for Macedonia's EU, NATO Bids
The defense ministers of Bulgaria and Macedonia have expressed their mutual desire and will for cooperation between the armed forces of the two countries.
Macedonian Defense Minister Zoran Jolevski met with his Bulgarian counterpart on Tuesday as part of an official visit to Bulgaria.
Naydenov, as cited by the BGNES news agency, pointed out that Bulgaria had repeatedly expressed its support for the European and Euro-Atlantic integration of the Western Balkans, adding that this was the future of the Balkan region.
He also drew attention to Bulgaria's support for Macedonia's EU and NATO membership bid.
Bulgaria's Defense Minister said that Bulgaria expected Macedonia to stick to the principle of good neighbor policy.
He also emphasized the importance of not distorting history, adding that attempts to do this were steps backward.
Naydenov suggested that the bilateral cooperation in the sphere of defense and armed forces could be an example of good interaction.
During the talks with the Macedonian delegation, Naydenov brought up the issue of the restoration and maintenance of the war monuments and war graves of Bulgarian soldiers who died on Macedonian territory.
It was announced that a group of experts would be sent there to compile a list of the Bulgarian war graves in Macedonia.
In his statement, the Macedonian Defense Minister drew attention to the good relations between the two countries.
He pointed out that Macedonia had a strategic goal of joining the EU and NATO.
Jolevski thanked Bulgaria for the support for the Euro-Atlantic integration of the Balkan countries.
- » Sweden's Top Diplomat Complained of Sexual Harassment
- » Bulgarian President: 'We Should Not Allow a Double Standard in the Accession of the Member States to the Schengen Area'
- » Erdogan is in Warsaw on a First Visit to an EU Country after a Coup Attempt
- » Bulgaria and Russia to Cooperate in the Field of Culture
- » Putin's Visit in Bulgaria will be Postponed for after March 2018
- » Theresa May goes on an Unexpected Visit to Brussels