1 in 10 Convicted to Jail Criminals in Bulgaria Is Hiding
Roughly one in 10 convicted to jail criminals in Bulgaria is hiding from the law, reports Sega daily.
According to the report of the Prosecutor's Office, published on its website, in 2013 871 criminals, sentenced to prison terms, have practically disappeared and are being sought, both in Bulgaria and abroad.
According to official data, the total number of such cases since 1993, has reached 1041.
As of end of 2012, the number of sentenced criminals, who are hiding, was 891. As of end of 2011 – 997.
By law, a copy of the guilty verdict has to be transferred from the court to the prosecution must within seven days – enough time for the convict to go into hiding. This, according to Bulgarian law is not a crime, if s/he appeared in court for the sentencing.
Initially the convict is being sought by the Court Police. If it fails within a month, the case is referred to the Interior Ministry, which issues a wanted order and a European order for arrest.
The problem with the disappearing convicts gained publicity in 2012 when the Dupnitsa businessmen Angel Hristov and Plamen Galev, a.k.a “the Galevi brothers”, disappeared never to be heard of again. They were found guilty of organising a criminal group and sentenced to prison time by the last court instance.
Another notorious case is the convicted double murderer Ilian Todorov who in 2013 was sentenced to life in prison for stabbing to death two people in front of the Sofia Solo club. He also disappeared and sent a video in which he claimed he was innocent.
All three are sought by Interpol.
- » Body of Girl Found Nearly Month After She Went Missing in Danube River Near Bulgaria's Silistra
- » Man Dies After Pursuit with Police in Bulgaria's Plovdiv
- » Authorities Lift Bathing Ban on Beach in Bulgaria's Varna
- » One Pupil Injured After Being Stabbed by Schoolmate in Sofia
- » Rescuers in Bulgaria's Plovdiv Continue to Search Maritsa River for Missing Young Man
- » Cultural Heritage House Collapses in Bulgaria's Veliko Tarnovo