18 Migrants Die of Suffocation Aboard African Boat to Italy
18 migrants have died, reportedly by suffocating, aboard a crowded boat travelling from North Africa to Italy carrying hundreds asylum-seekers on Saturday.
The migrants are said to have choked on fumes from an old engine while they were confined below deck, Italian news agency Ansa reports.
According to the BBC, the boat, with 600 people on board, was intercepted south of the island of Lampedusa, Italy's southernmost point after sending out an SOS signal.
Another person died while being rescued and two more have been evacuated by helicopter and taken to Palermo hospital in Sicily in a serious condition, international media reports said.
- » Syrian Government to Attend U.N. Talks in Vienna: U.N. Deputy Envoy
- » Romania Does Not Really Follow Recommendations on Fighting Corruption: Council of Europe
- » The EU and Turkey are Preparing a Summit in Late March
- » Private Armies will be Legalized in Russia
- » UK Pledges Extra £44m for Channel Border Security
- » Trump Denies U.S. Embassy to be Moved to Jerusalem Within a Year