Scrap Companies Block Traffic at Bulgarian Border Again
The traffic at Bulgarian Kapitan Andreevo checkpoint has been blocked again Tuesday morning by scrap companies who staged a protest against a law which came into effect Monday.
The demonstrators do not let any cars or trucks cross the Bulgarian-Turkish border. According to the private TV station bTV, a protest is being staged at checkpoint Kalotina, as well.
The blockades at Kapitan Andreevo began yesterday when specialized machinery closed the checkpoint. The business protests against a new law, according to which physical persons are not allowed to sell ferrous and non-ferrous metals to the licensed companies.
A meeting is to be held Tuesday between representatives of the protesters, the parliamentary parties and the management of the institution to remedy the situation and possibly to introduce amendments to the law, which came into force yesterday, Dnes.bg informs.
Traffic in both directions was rerouted through the checkpoints Lesovo and Novo Selo.
- » Varba-Batantsi Lead, Zinc Mine Celebrates Official Restart
- » Trips of Bulgarians Abroad Increase by 34.7% in Q2 Y/Y
- » Agriculture Min: Bulgarian Producers 'Suffer Losses' from Food Ban
- » Bulgarian Energy Holding 'Awaiting BGN 1.45 B' from Subsidiaries
- » Balkan Telecom Regulators Mull Scrapping Roaming Charges
- » Bulgaria Gets Record Low Dividend Payment from State Firms