Moscow Metro Derailment Kills 20, Injures Around 150
At least 20 people were killed and over 150 were injured as several subway cars derailed on the Moscow Metro on the Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line on Tuesday morning, reports ITAR-TASS.
Petr Biryukov, deputy mayor of Moscow, told ITAR-TASS the number of confirmed deaths has risen to 15.
The metro incident took place at a section between metro stations Slavyansky Bulvar and Park Pobedy running under a governmental highway.
Hundred people have been hospitalized, while 50 of them are in a serious condition.
Eyewitnesses estimate that at least 150 people have been injured.
Several people were stuck for about an hour in an underground tunnel between metro stations Park Pobedy and Slavyansky Bulvar, as a metro train car filled with passengers derailed on Moscow’s Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya blue metro line.
News of the derailment was preceded by reports of smoke detected on the dark blue line of the Moscow Metro. Later, Moscow’s emergencies agency denied reports of smoke and said a sudden failure in the electricity supply to a conductor rail could have caused the accident.
- » France to Form National Guard to Help Counter Terror Attacks
- » Two Top Generals Resign in Turkey before Supreme Council Meeting
- » Putin Incorporates Crimea into Southern Federal District
- » EU Could Block Turkish Stream Construction - Ukrainian Official
- » Macedonia President: Balkan Terror Attacks Should Not Be Ruled Out
- » Nearly 5.5% of CESEE Population Emigrated since 1990 - IMF