Germany Crowned World Cup Champion After Defeating Argentina
Germany beat Argentina 1-0 winning its fourth World Cup taking soccer’s biggest prize for the first time in 24 years.
Substitute Mario Goetze scored in the 113th minute to allow the Europeans to avoid a penalty shootout Sunday night in Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium.
Goetze broke into the Argentine penalty area to reach a return pass from Andre Schuerrle, taking the ball on his chest and sending it past Sergio Romero in goal seven minutes before the end of extra time.
Germany is the first European team to win the World Cup in Latin America. Its last title in 1990 also came over two-time champion Argentina.
Inside the stadium, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Brazil’s Dilma Rousseff and Germany’s Angela Merkel were all on hand for the closing ceremony and the match.
The host for the next World Cup, in 2018, is Russia.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Triumphed in the Final Season Tournament in London!
- » Grigor Dimitrov is Now 3rd in the World Ranking
- » Dimitar Berbatov's Adventure in India Begins Today
- » Ibrahimovic Could Play at World Cup 2018
- » WADA Refused to Return Russia's Rights
- » Anthony Ivanov will Swim for a University in Alabama