Code Yellow in 5 Bulgarian Districts over Hail, Torrents Friday
Code Yellow was issued in five districts in Bulgaria, the National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology with the Bulgarian Academy of Science announced.
In the municipalities of Lovech, Gabrovo, Veliko Tarnovo, Pleven and Ruse, cumulomnibus clouds bringing heavy downpours, thunderstorms, gale-force winds hailstorms.
The warning comprises Northern and North-Central Bulgaria, with the country's southern regions and the Black Sea coast mostly expected to be spared from torrential rains and hail.
"Code Yellow" suggests weather conditions might pose danger to citizens and should be taken into consideration.
On Thursday, the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences took the same measure for Lovech, Gabrovo, Veliko Tarnovo and Pleven, but also for three other northern districts, in a week of unprecedented hailstorms flooding some Bulgarian towns and cities.
The town of Lovech declared Thursday a state of emergency due to the hail that inundated its lower parts, with water level reaching 1.5m at certain places.
A total of eleven villages in the region were left without electricity.
In the capital Sofia, one person died in a heavy hailstorm on Tuesday, with walnut-sized pieces of ice also injuring 40 people and smashing windshields of cars, windows of buildings and tree branches throughout the city.
It is estimated that the damage in Sofia alone could go beyond BGN 100 M (EUR 50 M).
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » Yellow Code For Intensive Rains and Thunders For 7 Regions
- » Yellow Code Announced for 7 Districts in Bulgaria Over Intense Rain
- » Many Clouds, Short Rains in Many Places in the Afternoon, with Thunders
- » Intensive Rains in Some Areas, Hailstorms Possible
- » NIMH: Short Rains with Thunders in the Afternoon