DANS Arrests Mayor of Central District in Plovdiv
Rayna Petrova, mayor of the Central district in Plovdiv was arrested by the Bulgaria's National Security Agency (DANS), said the Plovdiv prosecutor's office.
She was accused of influence peddling and malfeasance, in connection with deliveries of food for the municipal kindergartens and children's kitchens in Plovdiv's Central district.
According to the prosecution, the director of a company, which delivers food for the kindergartens and the kitchens gave Petrova vouchers worth BGN 10 000 for a trip to Thailand, which Petrova and her daughter used.
Even though the two contracts with the same company, worth over BNG 1.7, was not concluded by Petrova, she exerted her influence, according to the spokesperson of the Plovdiv prosecutor's office Galina Andreeva.
Furthermore, the company was delivering food at very inflated prices, often of bad quality, sometimes expired, for which kindergarten headmasters wrote numerous complaints, which remained unaddressed.
Petrova, who spent 24 hours in the arrest, was released on BGN 5000 bail and suspeded. If found guilty, she may face between one and eight years in prison.
- » Ex Military Medical Academy Head Charged with Deliberate Mismanagement
- » Man Shot Dead in Bulgaria's Sofia
- » Foreign National Finds Dead Body Near Bulgaria's Vidin
- » Czech Shooting ‘Not Terrorist Attack’, Interior Minister Chovanec Says
- » At Least Nine People Killed After Shooting in Czech Republic
- » European Court of Human Rights Rules against Bulgaria in 2 Cases