DANS Arrests Mayor of Central District in Plovdiv
Rayna Petrova, mayor of the Central district in Plovdiv was arrested by the Bulgaria's National Security Agency (DANS), said the Plovdiv prosecutor's office.
She was accused of influence peddling and malfeasance, in connection with deliveries of food for the municipal kindergartens and children's kitchens in Plovdiv's Central district.
According to the prosecution, the director of a company, which delivers food for the kindergartens and the kitchens gave Petrova vouchers worth BGN 10 000 for a trip to Thailand, which Petrova and her daughter used.
Even though the two contracts with the same company, worth over BNG 1.7, was not concluded by Petrova, she exerted her influence, according to the spokesperson of the Plovdiv prosecutor's office Galina Andreeva.
Furthermore, the company was delivering food at very inflated prices, often of bad quality, sometimes expired, for which kindergarten headmasters wrote numerous complaints, which remained unaddressed.
Petrova, who spent 24 hours in the arrest, was released on BGN 5000 bail and suspeded. If found guilty, she may face between one and eight years in prison.
- » Pazardzhik Court Orders 7 Accused To Remain In Custody
- » Court to Sit on Pazardzhik 'Radical' Imam's Detention
- » Prosecution To Demand Permanent Arrest For 7 Detained In Pazardzhik
- » Detained Imam Ahmed Musa 'Dreamed Bulgaria Could Wave IS Flag'
- » Bulgaria Charges Seven with Promoting Islamic State, Propagating War
- » Pazardzhik Imam Charged With Membership of War-Propagating Group