GERB Backs Kristalina Georgieva as Bulgaria's EU Commissioner
Opposition GERB supports Kristalina Georgieva, outgoing EU Commissioner on humanitarian affairs, for a new term at the union's executive body, party leader Boyko Borisov says.
"GERB wins the elections, GERB should point the EU Commissioner. Those [politicians] here are still failing to understand that after losing elections one does not have the right to nominate. Kristalina Georgieva... has proven over the years to be the best EU Commissioner,"
public broadcaster BNR quoted Borisov as saying.
The former Prime Minister's center-right party governed Bulgarian between 2009 and 2013, and came first at the general vote in May last year and the European Parliament elections on May 25, 2014.
Kristalina Georgieva, for her part, took the portfolio of the European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response in February 2010 after the competence of GERB's initial nominee, Rumiana Jeleva, was put into question during her official hearing to assume the office.
Georgieva is an economist who has worked at the World Bank between 1993 and 2013.
Reports earlier suggested she is backed by a number of EU politicians to become the next EU foreign policy chief.
Lat week a French journalist described her as a suitable candidate, and a Green MEP elected as European Parliament Vice-President for the political group endorsed her potential candidacy.
Bulgaria's government, however, has not yet presented its nominee to become the next EU Commissioner from the country.
- » Bulgarian DPS Party Supports Georgieva's EU Foreign Policy Chief Bid
- » EIB to Assist Bulgarian Railway Infrastructure Co in Tariff Formation
- » EC Approves Bulgaria's Public Procurement Strategy 2014-2020
- » EU Regional Policy Commissioner: Bulgaria to Sign PA with EC Very Soon
- » Georgieva Is Bulgaria's EU Foreign Policy Chief Candidate - PM
- » Bulgaria's FM Vigenin 'to Be EU Commissioner Candidate'