Sofia Municipality Urges Residents to Take Part in Cleanup Operation
The head of the Sofia city inspectorate Veska Georgieva urged the residents to take part in the cleanup operations after yesterday's hailstorm, reports bTV.
She asked that the residents clean the areas around their apartment blocks, houses and businesses of leaves, branches and twigs and pile them up next to the refuse bins.
According to Georgieva the situation in the areas where the damage was less extensive, the situation was back to normal, while in the city center and the western and southwestern districts the cleanup operations continue.
Georgieva claimed the floods caused by the combination of heavy rainfall and storm drains clogged by leaves and twigs were dealt with within two hours, but nevertheless urged all responsible organisations to make an analysis for future reference.
She also said that it was highly urgent to make a new geographical survey of the existent storm drains, so authorities can react by lifting the grilles and ease the water flow.
“The municipal authorities cannot take care of each storm drain and grille, so we expect the support of residents,” Georgieva said.
- » Bulgaria Reports Double Increase in Tourist Numbers Ahead of Summer Season
- » Putin: Russia Still Interested in Building Pipelines to Europe
- » Moody's Upgrades Bulgarian Energy Holding's Rating
- » Russian Gas Pipeline To Greece Might Pass Through Bulgaria - Alexander Novak
- » Online Store to Appeal Fine Imposed by Bulgaria's Competition Regulator
- » Bulgaria's Competition Watchdog Fines Online Store Owner