Bulgarian Govt Allocates BGN 1.2M for Anti-Hail Missiles
A day after a devastating hailstorm hit Sofia, the government has decided to allocate additional BGN 3.4M to the Ministry of Agriculture, BGN 1.2M of which is for anti-hail missiles.
The government press office stated that despite the sufficient quantity of anti-hail missiles, due to the intense and unstable climate situation, over 200% more missiles have been used in May only, Capital Daily reports.
Though well prepared, Bulgaria's Hail Suppression Agency is not allowed to use missiles over cities due to a risk of falling debris, therefore the hail cloud over Sofia could not be dispersed.
The agency has a very accurate radar monitoring system which transmits real time information to the Civil Defense and the Air Force therefore Sofia citizens could have been warned of the severe hailstorm that hit the city Tuesday afternoon, claimed one life and caused serious damages. There was the option to disperse the hail cloud before it reached the capital too, Capital Daily argues.
- » Sunny Weather Forecast for Bulgaria on Saturday
- » Pro-Russian Supporters, Opponents Clash Ahead of Arrival of Night Wolves in Sofia
- » Nationalists Attack Ukrainian Anti-Night Wolves Demo in Bulgaria's Burgas
- » Rainfall, Winds Expected in Bulgaria on Wednesday
- » Search Team Finds Dead Body of Missing Young Man in Bulgaria’s Maritsa River
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Provides BGN 26 M to Municipalities for Education