Bulgarian Govt Allocates BGN 1.2M for Anti-Hail Missiles
A day after a devastating hailstorm hit Sofia, the government has decided to allocate additional BGN 3.4M to the Ministry of Agriculture, BGN 1.2M of which is for anti-hail missiles.
The government press office stated that despite the sufficient quantity of anti-hail missiles, due to the intense and unstable climate situation, over 200% more missiles have been used in May only, Capital Daily reports.
Though well prepared, Bulgaria's Hail Suppression Agency is not allowed to use missiles over cities due to a risk of falling debris, therefore the hail cloud over Sofia could not be dispersed.
The agency has a very accurate radar monitoring system which transmits real time information to the Civil Defense and the Air Force therefore Sofia citizens could have been warned of the severe hailstorm that hit the city Tuesday afternoon, claimed one life and caused serious damages. There was the option to disperse the hail cloud before it reached the capital too, Capital Daily argues.
- » Code Yellow Declared for All of Bulgaria for Saturday
- » Sofia Ethnographic Museum To Present Surva, Vasilitsa
- » Fresh Snow Catches Bulgaria Off-Guard
- » Greece Halts Trucks from Bulgaria over Bad Weather
- » Code Yellow in Most of Bulgaria over Snow, Road Ice
- » Bulgaria's Handover of Gulenist to Turkey 'Unlawful' - Amnesty