Heavy Storm in Sofia Kills One, Causes Serious Damage
A tree crushed a man in the Borisova Gradina park in Sofia during the heavy storm with hailstorm and high winds, which hit the city on Tuesday afternoon, report the media.
According to the police, the victim is seemingly around 70 years old.
Two men were rescued from a car, crushed by a fallen tree in Pirotska street. Rescue teams are trying to take two people out from a car in similar situation in the Mladost district.
In various parts of Sofia the hailstones varied in size from walnut to golf balls and broke windows, windshields and damaged cars and roofs.
The flooding, caused by clogged storm drains, seriously disrupted traffic in various parts of Sofia. Some major intersections, such as Stochna Gara, are flooded and traffic is closed.
The fire service has received numerous complaints about flooded basements and ground floors, as well as underpasses.
Electricity in some parts of town has been briefly cut off, mobile phone networks also experienced problems.
- » A Man Threw himself in front of the Train Pernik-Sofia
- » Bulgarian Cultural Properties at Exhibitions in Moscow, Bratislava, Warsaw and Paris
- » Asian Festival in the Borisova Garden in Sofia in May
- » 20 People Suffered from Phenol Leak at a Chemical Plant in the Czech Republic
- » A Woman Smashed Police Patrols Vehicles and Wounded Policemen in Dimitrovgrad
- » Hot in Some Places in the Afternoon in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures Reaching 25°C to 30°C