Heavy Storm in Sofia Kills One, Causes Serious Damage
A tree crushed a man in the Borisova Gradina park in Sofia during the heavy storm with hailstorm and high winds, which hit the city on Tuesday afternoon, report the media.
According to the police, the victim is seemingly around 70 years old.
Two men were rescued from a car, crushed by a fallen tree in Pirotska street. Rescue teams are trying to take two people out from a car in similar situation in the Mladost district.
In various parts of Sofia the hailstones varied in size from walnut to golf balls and broke windows, windshields and damaged cars and roofs.
The flooding, caused by clogged storm drains, seriously disrupted traffic in various parts of Sofia. Some major intersections, such as Stochna Gara, are flooded and traffic is closed.
The fire service has received numerous complaints about flooded basements and ground floors, as well as underpasses.
Electricity in some parts of town has been briefly cut off, mobile phone networks also experienced problems.
- » Bulgarian Population Decreased by 0.6 % in 2014
- » Serbian Government Jet Failure Forces President Nikolic to Cancel Vatican Visit
- » Bulgaria Registers Increased Air Pollution Levels
- » NGO Project Residence Baba to Save Bulgarian Villages from Depopulation
- » Construction Works on Bulgaria's Beach of Coral Will Be Stopped, Official Says
- » Bulgaria Marks 90 Years Since Deadliest Terror Attack