Heavy Hailstorm Floods Parts of Bulgaria's Sofia
A powerful hailstorm hit Bulgaria's capital city of Sofia, Tuesday afternoon minutes before 5 o'clock.
Pieces of ice the size of a walnut poured down for more than ten minutes without stopping. The disastrous hail has broken tens of cars' windshields, windows of buildings, tree branches all over the city.
The downpour caused traffic jams in the city center. Some of the main streets have been flooded and traffic is hampered.
The central district of Stochna Gara has been flooded and traffic there has been completely blocked, Sofia municipality informs.
The police received signals for the drainage of flooded areas in the western districts of Filipovtsi, Moderno Predgradie, Lyulin and Novi Iskar.
There are fallen trees along Tsarigradsko Shosse Blvd, BGNES reports.
- » Pazardzhik Landfill Poses Danger of Road Accidents
- » Bulgaria's Environment Minister Calls for Imposing Stricter Fines on Oil Spills
- » Southern Bulgaria Submerged in Floods Caused by Torrential Rains
- » Pope's Climate Change Encyclical Leaves Politicians, Businesses Divided
- » Thunderstorms, Possible Hails Expected Across Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria to Set Up 6 Regional Centers for Crisis, Disaster Management