Italy's Ambassador Vows Support for Bulgaria's Schengen Bid
Italy's Ambassador to Bulgaria Marco Conticelli has vowed support for the Schengen bids of Bulgaria and Romania during Italy's Presidency of the Council of the European Union.
Italy holds the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union in the period July-December 2014.
In a Friday interview for the Bulgarian National Radio, Italy's Ambassador to Bulgaria argued that the two countries were prepared to join the Schengen Area.
He said that Italy would strive to bring the Schengen bids of the two countries back on the agenda of debates between the foreign ministers of the EU countries so as to achieve a consensus decision.
A number of countries oppose the stage-by-stage abolition of internal border control due to Bulgaria's poor results in the reports under the Co-operation and Verification Mechanism on the progress in the spheres of justice and home affairs.
- » EU Monitoring of Bulgarian Prosecution Postponed for Several Weeks
- » European Monitoring of Bulgarian Prosecution to Begin on Monday
- » DW: Bulgarian Prime Minister Is Brussels' 'Golden Boy'
- » Bulgarian Project Wins Natura 2000 Award
- » Bulgaria IntMin Reports 30 % Drop in Number of Illegal Migrants in 2016
- » Bulgaria to Have 146-km Wire Fence along Border with Turkey in 2 Months