Raid on Ukraine's pro-Russian Activists 'Kills 150 Rebels' - Army
Ukrainain forces say at least 150 rebels have been killed during heavy fighting in the east of the country.
According to Kiev officials, the army virtually sealed off the town of Mykolayivka after attacking six posts of separatists.
Four soldiers were reportedly injured as a result, the KyivPost wrote Friday.
No official comments have been made by the leadership of the self-proclaimed "Donetsk People's Republic", which claims control over the region where Mykolayivka lies.
Clashes between pro-Russian activists in Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions were renewed after a temporary ceasefire between rebels and so-called "anti-terrorist" units expired this week.
Wednesday saw a fresh diplomatic initiative to deescalate the situation, with Foreign Ministers of Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France agreeing to start talks on a new truce in the Donbass by Saturday.
Kiev's leadership is however adamant that another ceasefire is possible only if both sides observe it.
The government and the rebels blame each other for failing to lay down arms in end-July.
- » Angela Merkel Calls for Quick Solution to Russia-Ukraine Gas Spat
- » Energy Commissioner Oettinger Opposes EU Sanctions against Russia’s Gas Sector
- » Israel Claims to Have Shot Down Syrian Aircraft
- » US, Arab States Carry Out Tens of Air Strikes Against IS in Syria
- » New Polish Gov't to Seek Normal Relations with Russia, Ukraine
- » Romanian PM Ponta Survives No-Confidence Vote