Immigrant Influx to Bulgaria 'On the Rise' - IntMin
The tide of refugees flocking to Bulgaria has been growing again over the past few weeks, Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev announced.
He told a Parliament Committee that lately at least 150 to 200 people were sent back from the border every day.
Those illegally crossing the border still managed to find places where the border fence between Bulgaria and Turkey built to curb immigrants' influx was not finished, website News.bg quoted him as saying.
He ascribed the results to the developments in Iraq, where the humanitarian situation has severely deteriorated and hundreds of thousands have either left the country or become internally displaced people (IDPs) amid a conflict between Baghdad forces and insurgents led by rebels from the Islamic State (formerly known as ISIS).
- » Ivaylo Kalfin Appointed Chair of National Council for Tripartite Cooperation
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Dismisses Nearly All District Governors
- » Bulgaria Deputy DefMin 'Threat to National Security' - Patriotic Front
- » Bulgarian MPs to Have Final Vote on 2014 Budget
- » Bulgarian Trade Union Seeks Minimum Wage Increase to BGN 400
- » KTB Majority Shareholder to Demand Int'l Expertise on Bank Insolvency
Although some of these immigrants may indeed be fleeing warzones, I suspect that many more may be infiltrating the EU for more nefarious purposes. Judging by the number of people from Western Europe having gone to fight for ISIS and promising to wreak revenge on their host countries when they return, the future for Europe is not particularly hopeful