Nikolas Sarkozy Charged With Corruption, Influence Peddling
France's former president Nicolas Sarkozy has been charged with corruption and influence peddling, French prosecutors said Wednesday.
The decision came after Sarkozy was questioned for 15 hours, marking the first time a French ex-head of state had been taken into custody in a criminal investigation, according to French media reports.
Sarkozy's lawyer and two magistrates had also been interrogated as part of a corruption probe involving the former French president. Investigators are trying to find out whether lawyer Thierry Herzog helped Sarkozy pervert the courts of justice and sought to provide him inside information on another probe.
Sarkozy allegedly promised a magistrate to have a prestigious role in Monaco which could carry a maximum sentence of 10 years under French law.
- » Car Explodes in Yahinovo Village, One Person Detained
- » Sofia Regional Prosecutor’s Office Detains 49-year-old Man Accused of Murder in Etropole Town
- » About 10 Cars Burn Down at a Parking Lot on Montevideo Str.
- » Man and Woman Detained For the Murder of the Taxi Driver in Varna
- » Taxi Driver Found Dead In His car in the Region of Varna
- » Customs Officers Found 3720 kg of Acetic Anhydride Hidden in Trucks Carrying Apples from Serbia to Iraq