Number of Unemployed Bulgarians Drops Below 400 Thousand – Eurostat
In May, the unemployment rate in Bulgaria preserved its level from April and was 11.9%, but decreased by 1.1% compared to May 2013, according to Eurostat.
A total 399,000 Bulgarians were unemployed in May 2014 compared to 402,000 in April and to 439,000 a year ago, the latest data of the European Statistical Office shows.
This is the first drop of the unemployment rates in Bulgaria below the psychological level of 400,000 in a long time, Money.bg notes.
In May, the youth unemployment levels in Bulgaria dropped to 24.6% compared to 25.2% in April with a total of 46,000 unemployed Bulgarians under 25 years compared to 48,000 for the previous month and 69,000 in May 2013.
The EU unemployment rate was 10.3% in May 2014, down from 10.4% in April 2014, and from 10.9% in May 2013. Eurostat estimates that 25.184 million men and women in the EU were unemployed in May 2014. Compared with April 2014, the number of persons unemployed decreased by 630,000. Compared with May 2013, unemployment fell by 1.361 million in the EU.
In May 2014, 5.187 million young persons (under 25) were unemployed in the EU. Compared with May 2013, youth unemployment decreased by 464,000. In May 2014, the youth unemployment rate was 22.2% in the EU, compared with 23.6% in May 2013. In May 2014, the lowest rates were observed in Germany (7.8%), Austria (8.9%) and the Netherlands (10.8%), and the highest in Greece (57.7% in March 2014), Spain (54.0%) and Croatia (48.7% in the first quarter of 2014).
- » Faecal Bacteria Found in Ice From Three Major UK Coffee Chains
- » Code Yellow for Dangerously High Temperatures is in Force for 14 Districts in Bulgaria
- » Painter Salvador Dali's Body to be Exhumed For Paternity Suit
- » Yellow Code for Heat in 16 Regions, Thunders Expected in 10
- » Three Dead, One in Serious Condition After Car Accidents in Last 24 hours
- » Sunny Weather Today, Maximum Temperatures 31°-36°