EU Extends Bulgaria's Deadline to Explain Funds Mismanagement
EU Commission has granted Bulgaria more time to give its account on the number of irregularities found in the absorption of EU funding.
After coming across flawed public procurement procedures in the agricultural sector, the Commission announced EUR 1 B (already allocated to farmers by Bulgaria's government but later reimbursed by Brussels) would have to be returned if Bulgaria does not explain the violations.
Sofia had a deadline until June 30 to conduct an inspection on procedures which was to be certified by a company entitled to do so.
However, the contract of Deloitte Audit which was formerly assigned to certify expired in January as the procurement procedure to pick a new company has been appealed.
Agriculture Minister Dimitar Grekov was quoted by the Bulgarian National Radio as saying that measures are to be taken to certify the inspections and send a formal explanation within a month.
- » EU Commission President Thanks for Bulgarian Contribution to Investment Plan
- » Bulgaria Ranked at Bottom of Migrant Integration Index
- » Bulgaria to Contribute EUR 100 M to Juncker Investment Plan
- » Bulgaria’s Agriculture Fund Pays BGN 703 000 to Farmers Affected by Russian Embargo
- » EU Reaches Preliminary Deal to Scrap Mobile Roaming Fees by mid-2017
- » Bulgaria Drops One Place to #24 by EU Funds Absorption