Grigor Dimitrov Reaches Wimbledon Quarterfinal, Awaits Murray
Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov notched yet another memorable win in his career and reached the quarterfinals of the Wimbledon Grand Slam tournament.
In his 1/8 final match, the 23-year old from Haskovo defeated Leonardo Mayer of Argentina in 3 sets (6:4, 7:6, 6:2) to reach his best ever round of the oldest tennis Grand Slam.
The match had to be suspended for nearly 2 hours at 6:5 for Dimitrov in the second set, as the rain made the court too slippery. The Bulgarian started where he had left off, after the weather cleared up, and took a 2-set lead through a tie break.
In the third set, both players’ serves dropped slightly, and Dimitrov made 3 double faults in a single game. Nonetheless, this did not affect the score, as he demonstrated calm and determined play on the receiving end. After 2 breaks of serve, he went on to win the set comfortably.
In Wednesday’s quarterfinal, Dimitrov will face the favorite of the home fans, and reigning Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, who beat Kevin Anderson 3-0 earlier during the day.
The win over Mayer guarantees Dimitrov 360 points for the ATP ranking, where he has a chance of climbing into the top 10 after the tournament.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Defeats David Goffin, Reaches US Open 4th Round
- » Bulgaria's Ludogorets To Face Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bazel
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Scores US Open 1st Round Win against American Ryan Harrison
- » Bulgaria’s Ludogorets Reaches UEFA Champions League Group Stage
- » Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Starts US Open With Victory
- » Boxing Match Kubrat Pulev – Wladimir Klitschko Is Postponed