Bulgarian FM Kristian Vigenin Meets IAEA Head Yukiya Amano
Bulgaria's Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin has met International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Yukiya Amano, who is on a visit to Sofia.
During what was the first visit of a IAEA Director in fourteen years, Vigenin and Amano discussed Bulgaria's commitments to the deal between Iran and the agency over Tehran's nuclear program, a message from the Foreign Ministry's press office says.
North Korea's nuclear experiments were also on the agenda.
Another focus of their talks was the future of atomic energy in Japan following the 2011 earthquake and the incident that followed at the Fukushima nuclear plant.
Amano told Vigenin that nuclear energy was still "a preferred alternative" and was on the rise in Asia, but safety of the plants had to be the top priority.
The IAEA Director General also met Economy Minister Dragomir Stoynev and Nuclear Regulatory Agency Chairman Lachezar Kostov.
He is due to visit Bulgaria's Kozloduy NPP.
- » Ambassador Hensel: Poland Is Keeping Close Watch on Ukraine
- » Racho Ribarov Appointed Honorary Consul of Lithuania to Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria's Defense Min Vows Support for Macedonia's EU, NATO Bids
- » Macedonian Defense Minister Pays Official Visit to Bulgaria
- » Germany's Ambassador to Czech Republic 'to Head Bulgarian Mission'
- » Lavrov Tells Bulgaria's Vigenin Russia Will Not Back on South Stream