Bulgarian FM Kristian Vigenin Meets IAEA Head Yukiya Amano
Bulgaria's Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin has met International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Yukiya Amano, who is on a visit to Sofia.
During what was the first visit of a IAEA Director in fourteen years, Vigenin and Amano discussed Bulgaria's commitments to the deal between Iran and the agency over Tehran's nuclear program, a message from the Foreign Ministry's press office says.
North Korea's nuclear experiments were also on the agenda.
Another focus of their talks was the future of atomic energy in Japan following the 2011 earthquake and the incident that followed at the Fukushima nuclear plant.
Amano told Vigenin that nuclear energy was still "a preferred alternative" and was on the rise in Asia, but safety of the plants had to be the top priority.
The IAEA Director General also met Economy Minister Dragomir Stoynev and Nuclear Regulatory Agency Chairman Lachezar Kostov.
He is due to visit Bulgaria's Kozloduy NPP.
- » EU Solidarity Key to Tackling Common Challenges, Mogherini Says on Bulgaria Visit
- » Bulgaria’s Foreign Ministry to Teach US Visa Applicants How to Avoid Formal Errors
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov to Pay One-Day Working Visit to Bavaria
- » Greece-EU Relations Cannot Change Just because of Current Govt – Ambassador Stoidis
- » Bulgarian FM Calls for More US Investments, Tourists, Waiver of Visas
- » French President Awards Legion of Honour Order to UNESCO Director-General