Sergey Stanishev: Stabilizing Banks Priority Over Government Future
The leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party, Sergey Stanishev stated that the most important task now is to stabilize the banking system and regain the public trust.
“The main topic on today’s agenda is not the government’s resignation, but how to stabilize and guarantee the security of the banking sector”, Stanishev told reporters before entering the Presidential office for Sunday’s consultations.
The leaders of all parliamentary parties, as well as those with representatives in the European Parliament, are discussing the future roadmap of Bulgaria, in the lead-up to the early elections. On Friday, the parliamentary leaders agreed for the elections to be held on October 8.
Stanishev reassured that the government will stand behind the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) and has the necessary resources to guarantee the safety of the whole sector. He also urged for a unified and coherent approach on this matter of “national security”.
Representatives of the ruling BSP-DPS coalition were met by dozens of protesters outside the presidency, shouting “resignation”, amidst heightened security.
- » Bulgaria Socialist Leader Takes Shocking Pictures of Bulgaria-Serbia Road
- » Bulgaria Improves Ranking in Freedom House Report on Press Freedom
- » Bulgarian Private TV7 Channel Could Stop Broadcasting as Bailiff Enters Media
- » No Bulgarians in Nepal Board Evacuation Plane Provided by MFA
- » Foreign Ministry Provides Evacuation Option to Bulgarians in Nepal
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov Deems Cabinet Reshuffles Pointless