Sergey Stanishev: Stabilizing Banks Priority Over Government Future
The leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party, Sergey Stanishev stated that the most important task now is to stabilize the banking system and regain the public trust.
“The main topic on today’s agenda is not the government’s resignation, but how to stabilize and guarantee the security of the banking sector”, Stanishev told reporters before entering the Presidential office for Sunday’s consultations.
The leaders of all parliamentary parties, as well as those with representatives in the European Parliament, are discussing the future roadmap of Bulgaria, in the lead-up to the early elections. On Friday, the parliamentary leaders agreed for the elections to be held on October 8.
Stanishev reassured that the government will stand behind the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) and has the necessary resources to guarantee the safety of the whole sector. He also urged for a unified and coherent approach on this matter of “national security”.
Representatives of the ruling BSP-DPS coalition were met by dozens of protesters outside the presidency, shouting “resignation”, amidst heightened security.
- » Plovdiv Mayor Signs Contract for BGN 30 M Loan from EBRD
- » GERB Meets BSP Friday in Second Round of Coalition Talks
- » ABV Will Stay Out of Gov't, But Will Back Some GERB Policies
- » PF Urges Power Price Freeze, Anti-Crime Steps Ahead of Talks with GERB
- » Dimitar Vladimirov Appointed Deputy Head of State Agency for Bulgarians Abroad
- » Subsidies for Political Parties in Bulgaria Up 10 Times in 10 Years