Sergey Stanishev: Stabilizing Banks Priority Over Government Future
The leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party, Sergey Stanishev stated that the most important task now is to stabilize the banking system and regain the public trust.
“The main topic on today’s agenda is not the government’s resignation, but how to stabilize and guarantee the security of the banking sector”, Stanishev told reporters before entering the Presidential office for Sunday’s consultations.
The leaders of all parliamentary parties, as well as those with representatives in the European Parliament, are discussing the future roadmap of Bulgaria, in the lead-up to the early elections. On Friday, the parliamentary leaders agreed for the elections to be held on October 8.
Stanishev reassured that the government will stand behind the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) and has the necessary resources to guarantee the safety of the whole sector. He also urged for a unified and coherent approach on this matter of “national security”.
Representatives of the ruling BSP-DPS coalition were met by dozens of protesters outside the presidency, shouting “resignation”, amidst heightened security.
- » Consumption of Illicit Cigarettes in Bulgaria Registers Decrease
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Syrian Refugees Hidden in Romanian Truck
- » Planned Rise in Vignette Stickers’ Price Prompts Protests in Bulgaria
- » Interior Minister Notes 2.5-Fold Increase of Migratory Flow Through Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Ataka Party Protests over Downing of Russian Warplane by Turkey
- » IntMin: Bulgaria Is Not Directly Threatened by Russia-Turkey Tensions