Sergey Stanishev: Stabilizing Banks Priority Over Government Future
The leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party, Sergey Stanishev stated that the most important task now is to stabilize the banking system and regain the public trust.
“The main topic on today’s agenda is not the government’s resignation, but how to stabilize and guarantee the security of the banking sector”, Stanishev told reporters before entering the Presidential office for Sunday’s consultations.
The leaders of all parliamentary parties, as well as those with representatives in the European Parliament, are discussing the future roadmap of Bulgaria, in the lead-up to the early elections. On Friday, the parliamentary leaders agreed for the elections to be held on October 8.
Stanishev reassured that the government will stand behind the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) and has the necessary resources to guarantee the safety of the whole sector. He also urged for a unified and coherent approach on this matter of “national security”.
Representatives of the ruling BSP-DPS coalition were met by dozens of protesters outside the presidency, shouting “resignation”, amidst heightened security.
- » Bulgaria's President to Give Gov't Mandate to Third-Largest Party
- » Bulgarian Socialists OK Stanishev’s Bid for 2 Term as PES President
- » Who is Who: Mihail Mikov, New Chair of Bulgarian Socialist Party
- » Mihail Mikov Elected Chair of Bulgarian Socialist Party
- » Outgoing Bulgarian Socialist Leader to Run for 2 Term as PES President
- » Bulgarian Socialist Party to Elect New Leader