Three Arrested for Informational Attack on First Investment Bank
Three people have been arrested in connection with the informational attack on First Investment Bank (FIB) earlier this week.
They are suspected of having sent emails and short text messages to the bank’s clients, urging them to withdraw their money, as FIB is facing bankruptcy. This stirred mass panic, with over BGN 800 M withdrawn from the bank on Friday alone.
The special operation carried out by the State Agency for National Security (DANS) led to three arrests, in Ruse and Sofia. One of the detainees is Ventsislav Angelov, known as “The Chicago”. He is a former employee of the Interior Ministry, and with an extensive criminal CV. Angelov has been previously convicted of tax fraud and drug trafficking.
Investigators have tracked down the three suspects by following IP addresses from which the false emails were sent. Facebook and Youtube have also been used to disseminate the fraudulent information, Dnevnik.bg revealed.
The hunt will continue, as it is still unknown who is the main orchestrator of the attack.
- » Serbia Arrests Bulgarian National for Trafficking Afghan Refugees
- » Burgas Bombing 'Raised Hezbollah Suspicions of Double Agent'
- » Bulgaria's DANS Apprehends Three Terrorist Suspects at Border
- » Seven Bulgarians Arrested in Belgrade for Intending to Stage Protest
- » Bulgarian Man Arrested by Macedonian Police for Human Smuggling Attempt
- » IntMin Confirms with High Degree of Certainty Missing Petko Sertov Left for Greece
Why is the government of Bulgaria going after the people that caused the run on First Investment Bank and not after the people or person that caused the run on CCB? Could it be that the people that caused the run on CCB enjoy freedom from prosecution? i.e. Dogan and Peevski?