Bulgaria 'on EU Average' in Compliance to Brussels Recommendations
Bulgaria has observed just 16% of economic recommendations issued by the EU Commission, a European Parliament survey reveals.
The data cited by EurActiv shows the country is close to the European average, which is 18% and which shows member states largely ignore the EU Commission's proposals for reform.
Some 43% of recommendations accepted by states themselves have never been implemented.
Dealing with reform proposals in the fields of fiscal policies, macro-economics, labor market and financial stability, the survey includes ideas put forward by the Commission, but also by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) between 2011 and 2012.
Bulgaria has not observed some 54% of recommendations within that period, with measures to tackle expenditure deficits in healthcare and education being among them.
The pension system, fighting grey economy and absorption of EU funds, as well as boosting independence of the judiciary, are key areas where Sofa has refused to heed the EU Commission or other institutions' calls.
However, Brussels' urges for stable fiscal policies, increasing administrative capacity and energy efficiency have been taken into consideration, the survey shows.
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Europe's Stability and Future Goes Through the European Perspective and the Connectivity of the Western Balkans
- » Bulgarian PM: Bulgarian People Continue to Believe in the EU
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No New Recommendations From EC, Great Progress has been Made
- » EC Report: Bulgaria has Made Progress, but Still More Work is Needed
- » Frans Timmermans: We See Progress in Many Areas in Bulgaria, but Still More Work is Needed
- » EU Commissioner Maria Gabriel: Open Dialogue is the Key to Solving the "Fake News"
Maybe someone should send this article to Cameron and show him (and the whole UK political establishment) that the UK does not need to renegotiate any terms with the EU but just to turn a blind eye when they don't suit. Why play be the rules when this shows no-one else does.