Bulgarian Eco Ministry Urges Reservoir Releases Countrywide
Bulgarian Environment Ministry has prescribed the controlled releases of reservoirs countrywide, the new Minister of Environment and Water Stanislav Anastasov informed.
Increased river levels in the Danube's watershed and in central Bulgaria are expected on Friday, due to the downpours in northwestern Bulgaria. Local flash floods are possible, as well, the Eco Minister told Bulgarian National Radio.
"After last week's torrential rains, we have issued a prescription for a controlled release of dams. Yesterday we also issued such an order. So hopefully all the measures that we have prescribed have been implemented and we will be prepared for the next rains," Anastasov said.
Due to the increased rainfall, warnings have been issued for northern Bulgaria. According to the Environment Minister, the ministry shares the responsibility with the local authorities and the regional governments to take the appropriate measures.
- » 6 Bulgarian Districts Bracing for Heavy Rain, Thunderstorms, Hail
- » Bulgarian Tourism Organizations Sign Environment Protection Memorandum
- » Bulgaria's Southern Black Sea Coast Returns to Normal after Floods
- » Code Yellow in 5 Bulgarian Districts over Hail, Torrents Friday
- » Code Yellow Issued in 7 Districts over Risk of Hail, Thunderstorms
- » Heavy Hailstorm Floods Parts of Bulgaria's Sofia