FIFA Bans Luis Suarez for 4 Months
Uruguay’s Luis Suarez has received a 4-month ban, including 9 international matches, as well as a EUR 82,000 fine for biting Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup.
World football’s governing body FIFA announced on Thursday that Suarez will be suspended for 9 official matches of his country, as well as any football-related activity in the next 4 months. The punishment comes after Suarez allegedly bit Giorgio Chiellini of Italy during Tuesday’s World Cup match.
“Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field. The Disciplinary Committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suárez’s guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Code”, FIFA’s statement read.
This will be Suarez’s third disciplinary punishment for biting an opponent player. Although the Uruguayan FA and the player can appeal the ban, it goes into effect immediately, which means he would miss Saturday’s 1/8 final match against Colombia.
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Suffers Heavy Defeat in Monte Carlo
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Overwhelmingly Defeats Wawrinka in Monte Carlo
- » Bulgarian Elected as Vice President of European Athletics
- » Bulgaria Climbs Four Positions in FIFA World Ranking
- » Bulgarian Olympic Committee Adopts BGN 3.45 M Budget for 2015
- » CSKA Sofia Has New Owner after Aleksandar Tomov Withdraws