Two Ministers, Parliament Speaker 'Likely BSP Chief Candidates'
Economy Minister Dragomir Stoynev, Defense Minister Angel Naydenov and Parliament Speaker Mihail Mikov have the same chance to head the main ruling party, media reports suggest.
Citing comments from Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) high-ranking cadres, website Dariknews.bg sheds light on the ongoing discussions about a possible leadership changes amid numerous calls on BSP Chairman Sergey Stanishev to step down following poor results at the European Parliament elections.
Stanishev, who announced Tuesday he was leaving the Bulgarian Parliament in order to become MEP, vowed to retain his seat as the socialists' leader, though admitting new energy and changes were needed within the party.
All three "likely" candidates are currently holding key positions in the BSP, with Mikov having the Deputy Chair's seat and Naydenov acting as a spokesman for its National Council.
Dragomir Stoynev is also expected to enter the Executive Bureau at the BSP Supreme Council, one of its top decision-making bodies.
According to Bulgarian daily Standart, Stanishev is due to personally propose changes in the Executive Bureau within days.
The newspaper says he is to place his demands at a session of the BSP's National Council, weeks after having held talks with him, Naydenov and Mikov, who he reportedly considers suitable candidates to succeed him on the top.
Atanas Merdzhanov, the party's new Deputy Chair of the socialist parliament group after Yanaki Stoilov left the office in mid-June, is also poised to enter the Bureau.
A new party chief is likely either this month or in March 2015 at the latest, according to Standart's BSP sources.
- » Bulgaria’s Ex-President Parvanov Hints at Possibility to Run Again
- » New Deputy Agriculture Minister to Oversee EU's Fisheries Policy in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Garmen Braces for New Protest against Illegal Roma Dwellings
- » Bulgarian Socialists to Decide at Referendum on Left-wing Alliance for Presidential Vote
- » UNESCO Head Bokova Denies Speculation She Might Run for Bulgarian President
- » Bulgaria Socialists Name Legendary Film Actor as Deputy Chair