20 Years from Bulgaria’s Memorable First World Cup Win
June 26 marks the 20th anniversary of Bulgaria’s first ever win in a World Cup match, 4:0 against Greece.
Following a disappointing 0:3 loss to Nigeria in the first group match, the Bulgarians looked set for another lackluster campaign. But just then, the genius of Hristo Stoichkov came into play. With two goals in the 5th and 55th minutes, both from penalty kicks, the legendary number 8 gave his country a solid lead in Chicago.
Two more goals from Yordan Lechkov in the 65th and Daniel Borimirov in the 90th minute completed the memorable 4:0 score for Bulgaria and a first World Cup win.
This opened the door to a remarkable tournament. Wins against Argentina, Mexico, and reigning champions Germany were to follow. Coach Dimitar Penev’s team returned to Bulgaria as heroes, finishing in 4th place, and rightfully earned themselves the label “Golden Generation”.
Stoichkov became the 1994 World Cup top goalscorer and won the Golden Ball in the same year.
- » American Olympic Gymnast Revealed that the Team Doctor had Raped her
- » Football Super Star Lionel Messi Reached 100 Goals in the Champions League
- » Italy Against Sweden in FIFA World Cup Play-off
- » IBF Confirmed: Pulev Remains an Official Contender for the World Titles
- » Football Club "Malmö" FF Lifted the 20th Title of Sweden
- » Grigor Dimitrov Will Take Part in Tennis Tournament in Vienna