Bulgarian, Italian Police Return Over 3600 Antiques to Bulgaria
Over 3600 antiques were returned to Bulgaria after an operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) and Italian police.
The joint police operation prevented the sale of the antiques at an auction in Verona, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio.
The joint operation was conducted after an investigation which lasted several months.
The probe showed that the Bulgarians had been enjoying for years the reputation of one of the biggest markets in Europe for antiques trade in Italy's Verona.
Bulgaria's DANS got in touch with Italy's specialized unit on combating trafficking of cultural goods.
Five people were arrested in Bulgaria as part of the joint police operation and their places of residence were searched, as well as the premises of dealers related to them.
The authorities found a large amount of illegally stored antiques and a large amount of documents.
- » Automobile Administration Agency Officials from Pleven Charged with Abuse of Office
- » Municipal Officials in Brezovo Charged over Pension Fund Fraud Scheme
- » Bulgarian Hacker Gets 30-Month Jail Term in US
- » Second Instance Confirms Jail Term For Ahmed Dogan's Attacker
- » Varna Court Asked to Extradite Convicted Drug Smuggler to Germany
- » Deputy Mayor, Municipal Secretary, Banking Official Arrested over Pension Scheme Fraud