11 Dangerous Buildings in Varna's Asparuhovo District to be Torn Down
11 potentially dangerous buildings in the flood-hit Asparuhovo district of Varna are to be demolished, according to the Mayor of the Black Sea city, Ivan Portnih.
The Asparuhovo district of Varna reported a death toll of 12 after heavy rain and severe flooding on Thursday. The death toll may rise as one child is still missing.
Speaking Tuesday at a press conference, he said that the local authorities were aware of the fact that the demolition of these buildings would create tensions but there was no possibility for compromise.
He said that the buildings which were to be torn down were residential buildings which were dangerous due to construction flaws or due to their location which was too close to the gully.
Portnih vowed that the demolition of the dangerous buildings would start very soon.
He also announced that around 250 people were to be evacuated by force from 85 dangerous buildings in the Asparuhovo district.
The Mayor of Varna said that 60 houses had already been evacuated and the authorities were striving to find accommodation for the people living in the other buildings.
He also made clear that a warehouse had been set up for the property of the people living in the dangerous buildings.
- » The $500 apple: Woman Fined For Failing to Declare Fruit She Was Given on Flight
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Maximum Temperatures Between 26C° and 31°C
- » Earthquake of 5.1 in the Southeastern Turkish Province of Adayman, Wounded People
- » Real Summer and 31 Degrees in Bulgaria in the Coming Days
- » Fire in Karaoke Bar in Southern China Kills at least 18
- » Helicopter Made an Emergency Landing in the Yard of a Winery in Svishtov (Video)