Rain Delay Breaks Pironkova at Wimbledon
Bulgaria’s Tsvetana Pironkova was defeated in the first round of the Wimbledon Grand Slam, 7:6, 2:6, 2:6 by Varvara Lepchenko of the United States.
The match began on Monday, with Pironkova winning the first set in a tie break. At 2:0 for Lepchenko in the second, the match was suspended due to the rain in London. Eventually it was postponed for Tuesday.
Lepchenko looked the sharper of the two in the second day of action, and sealed the second set, in which she had taken a lead prior to the rain.
Long rallies characterized the deciding set, with Pironkova evidently the more nervous on the court. The American waited patiently for her opponent to make an error, which happened more often than not.
Much to her disappointment, Pironkova succumbed to yet another defeat from a leading position, and clearly has plenty of work to do in the self-confidence department. Despite starting the year with a title at the Apia International in Sydney, she has failed to pass the second round in any of the Grand Slams so far in 2014.
- » Additional Security Measures for Europa League Final in Stockholm Already in Place
- » Antoaneta Boneva Wins Silver Medal at ISSF World Cup in Munich
- » Kubrat Pulev to Fight For IBF Heavyweight title within 10 Months
- » Dimitar Berbatov: 'We are Trying to Surprise People in All Possible Ways'
- » Grigor Dimitrov Only A Step Away From TOP 10
- » Boryana Kaleyn 4th in the Rhythmic Gymnastics All-Around in Portugal