Brazil, Netherlands Seal Top Group Spots in World Cup
Tournament hosts Brazil and the Netherlands clinched the top spots in their groups after the last round of play on Monday.
Two first half goals from youngster Neymar and two more from Fred and Fernandinho after the break, took Brazil to a commanding 4:1 win over last place Cameroon. In the other group A match, Mexico defeated Croatia 3:1 after a goalless first half.
Despite finishing level on points (7), Brazil’s superior goal difference over Mexico took them to the top, which means they will avoid playing the Netherlands in the next round.
The Dutch became the first and only team so far, to finish the groups with a perfect record of 3 wins, by beating Chile 2:0. Once again Arjen Robben was instrumental for his team, regardless of not scoring. They will face Mexico in the round of 16, while Chile will go up against the challenge of Brazil.
In the other group B game, title holders Spain avoided the miserable prospect of finishing in last place, beating Australia 3:0 with goals from David Villa, Fernando Torres, and Juan Mata, all of whom were substitutes in their team’s losses to Chile and the Netherlands.
- » Ina Ananieva: All we do, we do it for Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Rhythmic Gymnastics Team Receives Warm Welcome at Sofia Airport
- » Bulgaria’s Ludogorets Reaches Champions League Group Stage
- » Bulgarian rhythmic Gymnastics Captain: We played like lions
- » Bulgaria with Bronze Medal after Impressive Performance in Rio Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Dimitrov defeated by Cilic at Cincinnati Masters