NGOs, Red Cross, Volunteers Go To Varna's Aid
Hours after tragedy struck in Varna, NGOs Bulgaria's Red Cross (BRC) and volunteers organised donation campaigns and volunteer teams to aid the flood victims in Asparuhovo.
There are two official donation campaigns – one of BRC and one of the Bulgarian Donations Forum and Nova TV national channel.
The Red Cross activated the donations hotline 1466 – by sending a blank text to the number, people can donate BGN 1 for the flood victims. The organisation also opened a bank account for those who wish to make larger donations:
UNCRBGSF(For the flood victims in Bulgaria)
The other donations campaign opened the 17777 hotline. Those, willing to donate BGN 1, must send a text message with the following content: DMS Varna. According to reports, the hotline is overloaded and confirmation texts are being sent back with a big delay.
Part of the donations will also be sent to Dobrich, parts of which are also flooded.
Volunteers from Varna and Sofia are organising themselves through Facebook to collect aid and send in teams to help the cleaning operations in Asparuhovo. The hashtags for the operation are: #варна, #helpvarna, #supportvarna. The main rally point for volunteers in Varna is in front of the Cathedral.
Most needed are water pumps. Volunteers are advised to have warm clothes, gloves, raincoats, shovels and rubber boots.
- » Drunk Driving Rate in Bulgaria at 2.5%, Police Operation Reveals
- » Photo Project Tells Stories of 'Foreigners who Made Bulgaria Their Home
- » Wildfire Near Bulgaria’s Lesovo Border Crossing Contained
- » Bulgaria’s Environment Minister to Cut Ribbon on Waste Management System in Vidin
- » Forest Fire Damage in Bulgaria since Jan 2015 Estimated at BGN 10 M
- » 'Socialist Beer' Adds Appeal to Traditional Buzludzha Fest