Overflowing Reservoirs Jeopardize Bulgaria's Shumen Region
Bulgaria's northeastern Shumen region is at risk of flooding due to the rising levels in several local reservoirs, regional governor Ventsislav Venkov informs.
In an hour the level of the river Kamchiya in Smyadovo has increased by two meters, the reservoir in Aleksandrovo is overflowing, and the reservoir in Kulnovo has overflowed with 80 centimeters. The Kachata reservoir which is side by side with the military factory in Smiadovo might spill over, as well, Venkov told Bulgarian National Radio.
“The Triaditsa reservoir is being gradually drained. We need to inspect the Izbul reservoir, because there was a problem with the dam and it has been spilling water in the direction of the reservoir in Novi Pazar. I hope we will manage the situation,” Venkov explained.
The Golusha dam near Strelcha, Pazardzhik municipality is overflowing, but there is no risk for the nearby villages, the regional fire safety office in Pazardzhik reported.
- » Rainfall, Winds Expected in Bulgaria on Wednesday
- » Authorities Lift Bathing Ban on Beach in Bulgaria's Varna
- » Bulgaria to Have Another Sunny Summer Day on Friday
- » Bulgaria, Germany Sign Agreement on Implementing Innovative Environmental Projects
- » Black Sea Coast Nature Conservation Has Overwhelming Support among Bulgarians - Survey
- » Most of Bulgaria under Alert for Hot Weather on Monday