Overflowing Reservoirs Jeopardize Bulgaria's Shumen Region
Bulgaria's northeastern Shumen region is at risk of flooding due to the rising levels in several local reservoirs, regional governor Ventsislav Venkov informs.
In an hour the level of the river Kamchiya in Smyadovo has increased by two meters, the reservoir in Aleksandrovo is overflowing, and the reservoir in Kulnovo has overflowed with 80 centimeters. The Kachata reservoir which is side by side with the military factory in Smiadovo might spill over, as well, Venkov told Bulgarian National Radio.
“The Triaditsa reservoir is being gradually drained. We need to inspect the Izbul reservoir, because there was a problem with the dam and it has been spilling water in the direction of the reservoir in Novi Pazar. I hope we will manage the situation,” Venkov explained.
The Golusha dam near Strelcha, Pazardzhik municipality is overflowing, but there is no risk for the nearby villages, the regional fire safety office in Pazardzhik reported.
- » Code Yellow Alert Issued in Bulgaria over Heavy Downpours
- » Bulgaria Gives Green Light to Archaeological Research by Greek Ship Aegaeo
- » Sofia Boasts First Grass-Covered Tram Tracks
- » Code Orange Alert Issued for Bulgaria on Monday over Rain, Thunderstorms
- » Large Areas of Bulgaria at Risk of Wildifires on Sunday
- » Life as Seen through the Eyes of 2 Egyptian Vultures