Pre-Trial Proceedings Launched into Deaths Caused by Floods in Varna
A team of investigating police officers has opened pre-trial proceedings into the cause and circumstances of the death of at least ten people in the floods in Varna.
The pre-trial proceedings are supervised by a prosecutor from the district prosecutor's office in Varna, according to Radoslav Lazarov, spokesperson for the local prosecuting authority, as cited by dnevnik.bg.
The pre-trial proceedings concern negligent homicide, which carries a penalty of 5 years of imprisonment.
The investigative activities started immediately after the announcement of the tragic event and are still ongoing.
Heavy rain hit Bulgaria's Black Sea city of Varna on Thursday. The high waters claimed at least 10 lives, but the death toll may climb further.
The central and local authorities have exchanged accusations of inaction.
- » Code Yellow Declared for All of Bulgaria for Saturday
- » Sofia Ethnographic Museum To Present Surva, Vasilitsa
- » Fresh Snow Catches Bulgaria Off-Guard
- » Greece Halts Trucks from Bulgaria over Bad Weather
- » Code Yellow in Most of Bulgaria over Snow, Road Ice
- » Bulgaria's Handover of Gulenist to Turkey 'Unlawful' - Amnesty