Pre-Trial Proceedings Launched into Deaths Caused by Floods in Varna
A team of investigating police officers has opened pre-trial proceedings into the cause and circumstances of the death of at least ten people in the floods in Varna.
The pre-trial proceedings are supervised by a prosecutor from the district prosecutor's office in Varna, according to Radoslav Lazarov, spokesperson for the local prosecuting authority, as cited by dnevnik.bg.
The pre-trial proceedings concern negligent homicide, which carries a penalty of 5 years of imprisonment.
The investigative activities started immediately after the announcement of the tragic event and are still ongoing.
Heavy rain hit Bulgaria's Black Sea city of Varna on Thursday. The high waters claimed at least 10 lives, but the death toll may climb further.
The central and local authorities have exchanged accusations of inaction.
- » Tsvetan Vasilev Has Sought Contact with Authorities in Belgrade
- » Section of Bulgaria's Trakia Highway Flooded
- » Emergency in Bulgaria's Mizia Lifted
- » Refugee Children Denied Access to School in W Bulgaria To Attend Classes in Sofia
- » 400 Doctors Left Bulgaria to Work Overseas since January
- » 6 Bulgarian Districts under Code Orange Weather Alert over Heavy Rains