Veliko Tarnovo Declares State of Emergency
Bulgarian town of Veliko Tarnovo declared a state of emergency as the Yantra river overflowed and flooded homes, businesses, roads and public buildings in the area.
The towns Kilifarevo, Dryanovo and the village of Tserova Koria are also partly flooded by Yantra and its tributaries, reports Dnevnik.bg.
According to reports, the residents in the affected areas have been evacuated last night. “There was no panic,” Veliko Tarnovo mayor Daniel Panov told the Focus news agency.
He also said in the morning the water levels have dropped and Yantra drew back into its bed.
“There is extensive damage and we hope the state will help us,” Panov said.
The overflowing of Yantra was expected, as earlier this week the Environment and Waters ministry warned of risk of overflowing of rivers in northern Bulgaria, Yantra included, due to expected heavy rains.
- » Bulgaria Displays Ancient Treasures In Cooperation With Other European Countries
- » It Is Saint Thomas Sunday
- » Antarctica: Preparation For 26th Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition Started
- » Three French People In Hospital After Car Crash Around Simitli
- » Code Yellow Over Strong Wind in 12 Regions In Bulgaria
- » Sofia World Cup 2017 Is Coming on 5 May