Veliko Tarnovo Declares State of Emergency
Bulgarian town of Veliko Tarnovo declared a state of emergency as the Yantra river overflowed and flooded homes, businesses, roads and public buildings in the area.
The towns Kilifarevo, Dryanovo and the village of Tserova Koria are also partly flooded by Yantra and its tributaries, reports Dnevnik.bg.
According to reports, the residents in the affected areas have been evacuated last night. “There was no panic,” Veliko Tarnovo mayor Daniel Panov told the Focus news agency.
He also said in the morning the water levels have dropped and Yantra drew back into its bed.
“There is extensive damage and we hope the state will help us,” Panov said.
The overflowing of Yantra was expected, as earlier this week the Environment and Waters ministry warned of risk of overflowing of rivers in northern Bulgaria, Yantra included, due to expected heavy rains.
- » Plovdiv to Host 56th National Archaeological Conference
- » Foreign Students of Bulgaria Descent with Access to Bulgarian Universities
- » Emergency hospital Pirogov to Receive as Donation First Ambulance for Newborns and Children in Bulgaria
- » Today it Will be Mostly Sunny with Maximum Temperatures 20°-25°
- » Sofia Hosts World Congress in Viticulture and Winemaking
- » 4 People Dead, 15 Injured in Road Accidents During the Past Day