Veliko Tarnovo Declares State of Emergency
Bulgarian town of Veliko Tarnovo declared a state of emergency as the Yantra river overflowed and flooded homes, businesses, roads and public buildings in the area.
The towns Kilifarevo, Dryanovo and the village of Tserova Koria are also partly flooded by Yantra and its tributaries, reports Dnevnik.bg.
According to reports, the residents in the affected areas have been evacuated last night. “There was no panic,” Veliko Tarnovo mayor Daniel Panov told the Focus news agency.
He also said in the morning the water levels have dropped and Yantra drew back into its bed.
“There is extensive damage and we hope the state will help us,” Panov said.
The overflowing of Yantra was expected, as earlier this week the Environment and Waters ministry warned of risk of overflowing of rivers in northern Bulgaria, Yantra included, due to expected heavy rains.
- » Woman Finds Live Worms in Cookie Package
- » Bulgaria Ready to Support International Criminal Court – Chief Prosecutor
- » BAS To Investigate UFO Claims
- » Sixth Edition Of 'Northern Lights' Festival For Nordic Cinema
- » Sofia Patient with 'Ebola' Symptoms Infected with Malaria
- » Sofia Literary Festival Focuses On Nordic Literature