Government Nominates Irina Bokova for UN Head
Bulgaria's Government decided to nominate current UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova for UN Secretary-General, reports news.bg.
If elected, Bokova will hold the position from January 1 2017 to December 2022, said the Council of Ministers.
“The international prestige Bokova has as a UNESCO Director-General, gives Bulgaria all reasons to present her candidacy for UN Secretary-General,” said the Government press office.
Bokova, who is also a former Ambassador to France and Minister of Foreign Affairs, is the first woman to head UNESCO.
- » Bulgaria, Croatia Call for Speeding Up Reform in EU Accession Countries
- » Russia, Turkey To Sign Medium-Term Cooperation Programme
- » US Embassy: Bulgaria Still Does Not Fulfill Criteria for Visa-Free Regime
- » Bulgaria Needs Access to Schengen Database - President
- » Bulgaria's President Leading Delegation to Germany
- » Russophiles-Russophobes Divide in Bulgaria 'Artificial' - FM