Government Nominates Irina Bokova for UN Head
Bulgaria's Government decided to nominate current UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova for UN Secretary-General, reports news.bg.
If elected, Bokova will hold the position from January 1 2017 to December 2022, said the Council of Ministers.
“The international prestige Bokova has as a UNESCO Director-General, gives Bulgaria all reasons to present her candidacy for UN Secretary-General,” said the Government press office.
Bokova, who is also a former Ambassador to France and Minister of Foreign Affairs, is the first woman to head UNESCO.
- » Reuters: Russia Says Trump Invited Putin to U.S. During Phone Call
- » Erdogan and Merkel Discussed Syria in a Telephone Conversation
- » Presidents of Three Countries Will Meet in May
- » President Radev in Moscow in May, then Putin Comes to Bulgaria
- » PM Boyko Borisov Welcomed Denis Zvizdic in Sofia
- » Greece, Macedonia See Progress at Name Change Talks