Government Nominates Irina Bokova for UN Head
Bulgaria's Government decided to nominate current UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova for UN Secretary-General, reports news.bg.
If elected, Bokova will hold the position from January 1 2017 to December 2022, said the Council of Ministers.
“The international prestige Bokova has as a UNESCO Director-General, gives Bulgaria all reasons to present her candidacy for UN Secretary-General,” said the Government press office.
Bokova, who is also a former Ambassador to France and Minister of Foreign Affairs, is the first woman to head UNESCO.
- » Bulgaria Counts on Austria's Support for Schengen Bid - PM
- » Bulgaria, Austria Back South Stream Project Compliant With EU Law
- » Austria's President Heinz Fischer To Visit Bulgaria
- » Kosovo President Receives Bulgaria's Ambassador for Farewell Visit
- » Bulgaria’s President to Attend 10th Asia-Europe Meeting in Milan
- » Government Dismisses Bulgaria's Honorary Consul In Ukraine