Government Nominates Irina Bokova for UN Head
Bulgaria's Government decided to nominate current UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova for UN Secretary-General, reports news.bg.
If elected, Bokova will hold the position from January 1 2017 to December 2022, said the Council of Ministers.
“The international prestige Bokova has as a UNESCO Director-General, gives Bulgaria all reasons to present her candidacy for UN Secretary-General,” said the Government press office.
Bokova, who is also a former Ambassador to France and Minister of Foreign Affairs, is the first woman to head UNESCO.
- » Bulgaria’s President to Visit Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina on April 21-23
- » Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov 'to Visit Emirates' in end-April
- » Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor Visiting Macedonia
- » Bulgaria, Italy Urge Fairer Spreading of Migration Burden Within EU
- » Bulgarian PM, French President Discuss Energy, Security
- » Sarkozy to Bulgarian PM: 'You Have No Losses, You Only Have Victories'