Unemployment Falls to 11.2% in May, Bulgarian Employment Agency
Bulgaria's National Employment Agency has registered an 11.2% unemployment rate in May, which is 0.6% lower than the April figure.
This is the second consecutive month when the rate falls, after it stood at 12.2% during the January – March period, Investor.bg reported. However, compared to the same time last year, it is 0.2% higher.
There were 367,499 people registered in the labor bureaus in May, which is 19,126 less than in April. The newly registered unemployed have also fallen by 11,828.
There is a 25.9% increase in the number of young people who have applied in the bureaus, but this is attributed to the increased informational campaigns about youth employment programs and EU initiatives.
The biggest job openings have come in the manufacturing and trade sectors, while hotels and restaurants are naturally approaching their peak season, which brings about increased demand for staff. Construction businesses, meanwhile, have opened the least amount of new vacancies.
- » Government Airplane Carrying PM on Board Performs Emergency Landing at Varna Airport
- » Music, Dance Performances Close 2015 Edition of Sofia Breathes Festival
- » Bulgarian Samuel Finzi Voted Actor of the Year in Germany
- » Turkey’s Pegasus Airlines Plane Makes Safe Emergency Landing at Sofia Airport
- » Number of Cyclists in Sofia up by 140% in 3 Years
- » Bulgarian Archaeologists Discover 1600-Year-Old Mosaic in Downtown Sofia