Overloaded Boat Sinks Off Malaysia, Dozens Feared Dead
An illegal boat carrying 97 people from Indonesia has sunk off the western coast of Malaysia and at least 42 of the passengers are missing, Tuesday.
Some 31 passengers had been rescued, according to reports of the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency.
The passengers included women and children and were suspected of trying to reach Malaysia illegally, according to international media reports. One boat had been sent to the area to search for survivors and two more will soon follow.
The boat has sunk around midnight on Tuesday about 3km off the coastal town of Banting on the Strait of Malacca.
- » Suicide Blast Outside Music Festival in Germany Leaves 12 Injured
- » Three-Way Summit to Lay Basis for Supplying Turkmen Gas to Europe
- » Migrants Arrivals by Sea in Europe Top 242,000 so far in 2016 – IOM
- » Some 4,700 People Remanded in Custody in Turkey over Failed Coup Attempt
- » Turkish Airlines to Maintain Normal Operations during Emergency Rule
- » France Charges Five Suspects over Nice Truck Attack