Overloaded Boat Sinks Off Malaysia, Dozens Feared Dead
An illegal boat carrying 97 people from Indonesia has sunk off the western coast of Malaysia and at least 42 of the passengers are missing, Tuesday.
Some 31 passengers had been rescued, according to reports of the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency.
The passengers included women and children and were suspected of trying to reach Malaysia illegally, according to international media reports. One boat had been sent to the area to search for survivors and two more will soon follow.
The boat has sunk around midnight on Tuesday about 3km off the coastal town of Banting on the Strait of Malacca.
- » Tunisia Votes in First Presidential Election since Arab Spring
- » 5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Romania’s Vrancea
- » Kiev Accuses Moscow of Having 7500 Troops Deployed in Ukraine
- » Sergey Lavrov: Western Sanctions Aimed at Toppling Russian Regime
- » Japanese PM Dissolves Parliament Ahead of Early Elections
- » Ukraine's Pro-Western Parties Sign Coalition Agreement