USA Beats Ghana in World Cup, Dempsey Scores Fastest Goal
The United States won their opening match in Group G of the World Cup, beating Ghana 2:1 in Natal.
Clint Dempsey scored the fastest goal of the tournament, after just 29 seconds of play. Ghana managed to put up a good display and didn't crumble after conceding early. Eventually in the 82nd minute, Andre Ayew equalized after a neat back heel pass from Asamoah Gyan.
The Africans' happiness was to last for only 4 minutes, before John Brooks headed in a corner kick to restore USA's lead. The first ever national team goal for the young defender would prove the winner of the match.
The win was a sweet revenge for the United States who lost in 2 consecutive World Cups to Ghana, and puts them on level points with group leaders Germany, who defeated Portugal 4:0 earlier.
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Defeats Gasquet in 3rd Round of Australian Open
- » Grigor Dimitrov Qualifies for Australian Open's 3rd Round
- » Grigor Dimitrov Makes It Past 1st Round at Australian Open
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov to Face World's No 231 in 1st Australian Open Game
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Goes Up ATP Tennis Ranking
- » Tennis: Bulgaria's Dimitrov Scoops Title at Brisbane International