Tornado Seen off Bulgaria’s Black Sea Coast
A tornado was seen off the Black Sea coast of Sozopol shortly before 11 AM on Monday.
The cyclone formed several kilometers into the sea, and was visible from the coast. Witnesses told Standartnews that a boat had been passing nearby, but no damage was caused.
The tornado, which is a very rare phenomenon for Bulgaria, disappeared quickly, but was followed by another, smaller one.
Intensive showers continue to fall throughout eastern Bulgaria, slowing traffic in the areas around Varna. In the village of Turia, Stara Zagora region, a state of emergency has been declared, after streets and homes were flooded.
The mayor of Pavel Banya Municipality, Stanimir Radevski, says the damages are calculated at BGN 0.5 M according to preliminary calculations.
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » Yellow Code For Intensive Rains and Thunders For 7 Regions
- » Yellow Code Announced for 7 Districts in Bulgaria Over Intense Rain
- » Many Clouds, Short Rains in Many Places in the Afternoon, with Thunders
- » Intensive Rains in Some Areas, Hailstorms Possible
- » NIMH: Short Rains with Thunders in the Afternoon