Bulgarian Court to Start Files Trial against Socialist Leader
Sofia City Court is to make Monday a third attempt to begin a trial against Sergey Stanishev, former Prime Minister and ruling socialists' leader.
Stanishev, who was Bulgaria's Prime Minister (2005-2009) and is to serve as MEP for some weeks, is accused of having lost seven secret documents from Bulgarian institutions and NATO which were confided to him while he was in office.
In March and April, the court failed to launch the case against the leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP), as the defendant had not received a copy of the indictment.
Prosecutors demand that an administrative penalty be imposed on Stanishev.
The fate of seven secret reports has remained a mystery since 2010.
Three of the documents were produced by the state security agency DANS, two by the Interior Ministry, one by the Defense Minister and by NATO officials. They were handed to Stanishev personally, and the prosecution argues he lost them between November 4, 2005 and September 10, 2009 (he was Bulgaria's Prime Minister until July 2009).
In mid-November 2011, the Sofia City Court opened the administrative case against the socialist leader. The indictment was submitted to the court more than a year after Stanishev was officially charged amid lots of media fuss.
Stanishev is facing a fine of BGN 500 - 5000 if found guilty.
In October 2013 he gave up his immunity as a Bulgarian lawmaker in order to be prosecuted.
- » Prosecuting Authority Resubmits Indictment against ex-Deputy Parliament Speaker Hristo Biserov
- » Austrian Police Find 42 Migrants Crammed into Bulgarian-registered Van
- » Head of Bulgaria’s National Science Fund Arrested on Suspicion of Murder
- » Bulgarian Prosecutors Extend Deadline for Investigation of 2012 Burgas Bus Bombing
- » Anti-Mafia Unit of Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry Neutralized 17 Crime Groups since February 24
- » Bulgaria Detains Syrian, Afghan Citizens Citing Security Threat
Sofia. Sofia City Court adjourned for yet another time the start of the trial against Sergey Stanishev, leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) and President of the Party of European Socialists (PES), FOCUS News Agency reporter said.
The lawsuit is over lost classified documents.
The reason for the latest adjournment is that Stanishev has not received a copy of Prosecution Office’s enactment.